- He Puāwai: New Entrants. Whakatauki: “Ahakoa he iti, he pounamu ~ Although it is small, it is precious.”
- Māhuri: Year 1 and 2. Whakatauki: “He māhuri tororangi ~ A sapling reaching for the heavens.”
- Kōkihi: Year 2 and 3. Whakatauki: “He tiwai kōkihi whakamua ~ A humble vessel proceeding towards its destiny.”
- Puawaitanga: Year 4 and 5. Whakatauki: “Te puāwaitanga, ngā hua o te kura ~ The fruits of our school are fully blossoming.”
- He Kākano: Year 5 and 6. Whakatauki: “E kore au e ngaro he kākano i ruia mai i Rangiātea. ~ I shall never be lost for I am a seed fully nourished mentally and spiritually.”
We pride ourselves on our Transition to School Programme for our new families and their 5-year-olds. We encourage our parents to work with us so we can develop positive attitudes toward learning, ensuring goals are attainable and expectations are high for student achievement. Literacy, Numeracy and developing the ‘whole’ child are our priorities in our teaching environments where teamwork is promoted. All other curriculum areas are taught through our developing local curriculum. The country school heritage, our rich history and caring for our environment, are valued and traditional activities continue to feature throughout the year.
Planned activities where older children mix with younger children occur on a regular basis. We continue to build on our relationships with our Marae – Kairau, Hapu – Pukerangiora and Iwi – Te Atiawa. Students are encouraged to explore leadership opportunities and be given a voice in school-wide protocols and decision-making.
Innovative and effective teaching practices are encouraged with the provision of quality professional development opportunities for staff being a high priority of the Board. The Board are committed to ensuring children and staff are equipped with resources to make the most of their learning time.
A range of up-to-date technology is available to support this, as too are furniture and equipment within learning environments that enable creativity and collaboration to happen.
We continue to have the privilege of being involved in two superb initiatives. Fruit In Schools provides each child in our school with two pieces of fruit every day and Duffy Books which promotes reading at home as well as at school by providing new reading books to all children.